Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Creating the Garden: Sense of Place

Many factors come into play when designing an outdoor space including, but not limited to


1. Sense of Place
2. Client Designer Relationship
3. Knowledge of horticulture
4. Garden elements including stone, sculpture, water
5. Seasonal effects
6. Care of the garden


How do we define “Sense of Place”?


Because of its personal nature, sense of place encompasses a variety of meanings and definitions. 


Mature landscape plants add history
Kent Ryden (Ph.D., Brown University) defines it: A sense of place results gradually and unconsciously from inhabiting a landscape over time, becoming familiar with its physical properties, accruing history within its confines. The well-known geographer J. B. Jackson offers this elaboration: It is place, permanent position in both the social and topographical sense, that gives us our identity. And Mr. Martin Heidegger, famous German philosopher, quotes: Dwelling is not primarily inhabiting but taking care of and creating that space within which something comes into its own and flourishes.



The combination of characteristics of a place, coupled with the human element, make that place distinctive and unique. Through sense of place, an intimate relationship evolves between inhabitant and surroundings. Out of this familiarity, expectations arise. In addition, the spirit that emanates from a place gives it an identity. As human beings, we connect to this identity.



View to lake
God has blessed my family and I with a stunning piece of property, including a magnificent lake view. It is an extraordinarily tranquil setting. The longer I live here, the more I desire to exploit and accentuate that peaceful view. I identify my property with feelings of security, calm and a deep spiritual connection. This sense of place did not occur overnight, but evolved over the past decade. And I trust that this evolution will continue as long as we reside here.




In my next post, we'll explore the second crucial factor associated with creating a garden; the Client Designer Relationship.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Think Spring!
My Photo
Jennifer Garces
My experienced team and I have been creating and maintaining unique gardens and lavish landscapes throughout Long Island, New York for the past decade. Specializing in the creation of outdoor living spaces that are extraordinary yet functional, I glean inspiration from the traditional English style of gardening which incorporates lush perennial gardens, old world style masonry and wood accents. I believe unlimited creativity may be ignited by merging site potential, client desires and designer vision. Truly, gardening is a natural process that evolves and becomes more breathtaking with time. I hold a degree in Landscape Architecture from the University of Rhode Island and have over 6 years of field experience.
View my complete profile